Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Doggy Daydream


So I've discovered that having a puppy is almost like having a baby. No one tells you exactly what you are in for. Sure you get the "Having a dog is a LOT of work" comment, and "Why would you do that? That'll really tie you down!" comments. But the only two people who were truly honest with me about how the first few days, weeks and months would be, were my co-workers, Cheryl and Will who have a 10 month old puppy named Bosco.
I have a few friends who have babies, and many of them have said that no one really prepared them for how hard breastfeeding would be. I like to use that analogy when talking about getting a puppy. No one really tells you that you'll be up every hour of the night to take her outside for a pee. No one really tells you how immediately you attach to this little creature. No one really tells you how her whining is heart-wrenching. And no one really tells you how you life suddenly orbits around hers.
Will and Cheryl were completely honest with me. With Bosco, in order to housebreak him, they woke him up every hour and took him outside for a pee. Will trained him rigorously, and Cheryl was on the verge of a meltdown when the puppy challenged her Alpha status.
Having this in mind, we were strict with Zoe from the very first moment she was home. We introduced her to the crate, and every time she went to take a nap, we would put her in there. During the night, we've had her segregated to our bathroom, with her crate and food and newspaper, with a barrier across the door so that she can't chew up anything in the house, or have an accident wherever she chooses. I'm not going to lie, the first night was really rough! Zoe woke us up at 1am, 3am, 4am, and again at 6am. By that time, we were somewhat awake and zombiefied. But, as short on sleep as we were, we were still completely in love.
The next day, we tried to get her accustomed to the collar and leash, which she still resists occasionally, and scratches at her collar. She walked into her crate of her own accord, which we praised her lavishly for. That night was pretty brutal however, as I had to work a double shift the next day, and Mike had to work as well. We put her to bed around 10:30pm, and she woke up at 1am and 3am, which Mike got up with her for. And at 4am, it was my turn. I took her out for a pee, and then brought her inside. We are now starting to realize that taking her out for a walk doesn't wear her out. She comes back from being outside, and rips up the house. She starts running around, sliding on the laminate floor, playing with her toys, and chewing on everything... including me.
So, at 4am, she comes inside, and it takes me almost an hour to settle her down again. By this time, I was already preparing to get up at 5:20am to get ready for work, and take her out (just in case she didn't get me up already). So I crawled back into bed for a meager 20 minutes before I got up and dragged my tired ass around.
The lack of sleep though has been the only downside. When I came home from work that day, I got the best welcome home I'd ever received. And while I feel like I'm constantly repeating myself, and talking to myself, I'm in it for the eventual dog that she will become.

1 comment:

  1. Aw good for you guys for taking on such a challenging task! Thank GOD Louie came already trained and house broken! On the downside he has many bad habits that I'll never be able to get him to break because of his age and pre-disposition. We are both excited to meet Zoe!!
    ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete