Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Puppy Love

So Mike and I have finally decided that the next move in our relationship is to get a puppy! We've been casually looking for some time now, however I've said that with the coming busy-ness in my life what with school finishing, my dear friend Erin's wedding, my solo art show, my parents coming to visit AND now finding out I'm in the Graduation Exhibition, that the best time for a dog should be AFTER all of this.
So last weekend, Mike is casually looking in the pet section on Kijiji... and happens to come across the most adorable puppy ever
He is a mix of a Scottish Terrier and Poodle (a Scottie-poo or Scoodle). I'd already seen many puppy ads Mike had shown me, but for some reason, this little guy really got to me! I have allergies and asthma so we need a dog that has a mix of poodle in it. We were originally looking at Goldendoodles and Labradoodles, but weren't sure if a larger dog would fit into our condo lifestyle. We began looking at smaller dogs, and needless to say, this little guy seemed perfect!
After Saturday and Sunday hoping I'd come home from work to find that Mike had surprised me with a new little puppy (and being disappointed) and after much humming and hawing and convincing each other, we decided to start up a conversation with the breeder.
Sunday night we arranged to drive all the way to Sheet Harbor to have a look at this little guy on Tuesday evening after work. We weren't 100% percent we were going to take him, knowing how busy things would be, but I knew once we got there, we wouldn't be able to leave without him!
Monday morning, I woke up feeling nervous, anxious, and excited. I'd spent the whole night thinking "Are we ready for this?" We decided to spend Monday evening shopping for doggy essentials, we're planning on crate training our dog, as well as getting a collar, leash, food dishes and toys.
I'd decided to check out the new pet store downtown on Barrington called PetValu. They had a lovely selection of collars, and as I was perusing, my phone started to ring. It was the breeder, calling to make sure we WERE coming the following night. I had previously asked in an email that because I have allergies, would she be willing to arrange a return on the dog if I had major problems. She said she wouldn't be able to do that, as they were moving, and asked me what I would do. I said that we would just have to figure something out then. She asked again if we were for sure coming on Tuesday night. I said yes, we were definitely coming to look at the dog, but that we weren't 100% positive we were going to take him. (Can't buy sight unseen).
About an hour later, she called me back, saying that she had a buyer who was willing to come and get the dog right then and there. She said she felt awful, and that because I said I wasn't 100% sure, that she just wanted to get rid of the puppy (he was the last of the litter to go). So I told her I understood, and sadly, hung up.
So our search for the perfect puppy continues. And while this little guy seemed to speak to me, and seemed like he would have been the perfect match, it wasn't meant to be. I could have fought for him, but in a way, felt like it was a sign that we should wait. We're on the hunt again, perhaps we'll find that perfect miniature Labradoodle or Goldendoodle we've been looking for at a more opportune time! All I can say is, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment