Sunday, April 03, 2011

Just Me and Zoe...


So, it's been a few days since my last post, and it's mostly because I've been home alone with Zoe. Mike's brother, Daniel and his wife Crystal are expecting a baby. Her due date was March 31, and Mike had already booked a few days off to go "see the baby." Trouble is, baby's never come when they are expected! It's now April 3, and there's no sign of the baby! So Mike left for PEI on Wednesday night, and it's been just me and Zoe...
Wednesday evening went off without a hitch. Zoe and I went for a walk before bed, and because we had thoroughly wiped her out earlier in the day by taking her to a field and making her chase us from end to end, she fell asleep quickly. Now, Mike and I have been waking up (if Zoe doesn't already) to take her out in the middle of the night. We take turns, although I do admit, Mike was taking her out more than I. So, on Wednesday night, Zoe got me up at 1am and thankfully went back to sleep quickly. But when she needed to go out again at 4am, she was fully awake... and I was not.
She doesn't let you go back to bed if she's fully awake, and she'll either start whining, or jumping up on your side of the bed, chewing and scratching at your hand/arm! SO fun!
I had a bit of a meltdown that night to Mike on the phone. Having the stress of school, work, preparing for Erin's wedding and my upcoming show, and now the dog, it was a bit much for me to process on my own, especially so soon after getting her. I was told I'm not allowed to have children...
The next day was better. I'd decided to let Zoe sleep as long as she wanted without waking her up to take her out to see how she would do. She slept until 5:45am, with no incidents! That was a bit of a sleep-in for me, to be honest, and I was a bit happier in the day. The only other troubling thing was that she figured out how to get under the bed, and she'll scurry under there like a little mole, huffing and puffing while she does it!
I'm happy to now report that Zoe and I are now in a bit of a routine. It's helped that I haven't had to work all weekend, and I can take her out every couple hours, and play with her, and while she's sleeping at my feet, I can finally do some artwork, which feels like it's not really been at the forefront of my thoughts lately. I promise that my next post will be all art related, and no more doggy talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment